Friday, September 17, 2004

Kerry's Complicated Iraqi War Plan

Over the remaining weeks of the campaign, I thought I'd try to keep track of Kerry's positions on Iraq. So, just for the record, here are some of the choice excerpts from his Wednesday radio/cable network interview with Don Imus.

IMUS: What is this plan you have?

KERRY: Well, the plan gets more complicated every single day because the president...

IMUS: Try to simplify it for me so I can understand it.

KERRY: I'm going to just tell you why.

IMUS: OK.

KERRY: Because about -- I can't remember whether it's -- several months ago, I said, "This may the president's last chance to get it right in Iraq." That's what I said. And I said, as Joe Biden did and others did, "Mr. President, you've got to lead. You've got to get the international community at the table." The president has never done that. Now it's obviously, with the situation on the ground, much more complicated; I have to acknowledge that. It is more complicated. But I would immediately call a summit meeting of the European community....

IMUS: But it sounds -- that may or may not be a good plan, but meanwhile, we had three soldiers dead in Iraq yesterday and how many die before -- wind up over there in the rehab room at Walter Reed before a plan like this kicks into effect? Also, I was talking to...

KERRY: Well, Don, I realize that, but the fact is that the president is the president. I mean, what you ought to be doing and what everybody in America ought to be doing today is not asking me; they ought to be asking the president, What is your plan? What's your plan, Mr. President, to stop these kids from being killed? What's your plan, Mr. President, to get the other countries in there? What's your plan to have 90 percent of the casualties and 90 percent of the cost being carried by America? I mean, he is the president today, and we have given him advice from day one; from day one, from the floor of the Senate when we debated it where I said don't -- you know, you've got to have other countries with you, don't make an end runaround the U.N., the difficulty is not winning the military, it's winning the peace; and he ignored it....

IMUS: We're asking you because you want to be president.

KERRY: That's correct. But I can't....

IMUS: Do you think there are any circumstances we should have gone to war in Iraq -- any?

KERRY: Not under the current circumstances, no, there are none that I see.

Labels: , ,

|| headland, 10:13 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment

« Newest Posts | Older Post: Mega-Jupiter Seen; Exo-Earth Found? »
| Older Post: Waiting to Explode »
| Older Post: Ryanggang »
| Older Post: Resurrection »
| Older Post: Losing that Aloha Spirit in Waikiki? »
| Older Post: Headland Hiatus »
| Older Post: No Justice, No Peace[?] »
| Older Post: Blogging in L.A. »
| Older Post: Yo Ho? »
| Older Post: The Getaway »